No to UV Damage

It's that time again. It's sunscreen time.
It's sunny here in Houston, Texas, with temperature ranging in the mid-high eighties and UV index 6-8 (High!). 

I love a tan, but I cannot get a tan on my face. I meant to say a natural tan. I suffer from mild acne. I have red spotting on my face that should not be expose to the sun at all possibility. It's important that I give the red spots time to heal before I expose them to the damaging UV rays-which can leave damaging discoloration or scaring. Plus, I use microdermabrasion peeling treatments along with a dark spot serum treatment. Therefore, it's crucial that I wear sun screen.

Acne, means I have oily skin. You might think sunscreen is not good for oily skin type, because sunscreens are usually oily and heavy  in their base. Which is sometimes true. Luckily, I found the perfect light weight sunscreen that fits with my acne/oily skin.

Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion For Face/Body Very Water Resistant Sunscreen SPF 60 $39 for 3.3oz/100ml
 
 
This is a great sunscreen. It's super light weight, and runny. Unlike the traditional sunscreen we buy at the drugstore for the beach, this sunscreen is not thick, nor does it have the shea butter/coconut smell that we associate with sunscreen.

I was reluctant at first to buy sunscreen specifically for my face. I was afraid the thick/heavy sunscreen was going to clog my pores and give me more acne. Not this sunscreen. I been wearing this underneath my tinted moisturizer for a month now, and I have not suffer from more acne than the usual. I usually get about 2-4 small acne zits each week and the occasional gigantic pimple from time to time. But this sunscreen has help with keeping my red spot from turning a shade darker without clogging my pores or giving me additional breakouts.

The great thing about this sunscreen is a little bit goes a long way. I only need to use 4-5 drops of it on my entire face. It spreads easily without leaving a white looking powdery finish.



I left a little bit of the whiteness behind so you can see the product. If you still see white-it means either you're not blending the product enough or you simply used too much. I used too much and blended poorly in this case. My arm is extra dewy. Too much sunscreen on my arm.

For comparison purposes, I am showing you how thick the traditional sunscreen is.

 
Left: Banana Boat 
Right: Shiseido

As you can see, the Banana Boat (the typical drugstore sunscreen for the body and sometimes face) is a super thick consistency, almost like tooth paste. It was able to retain its shape. While the Shiseido is so light weight and runny that it started to run off the side of my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment